Lesson idea: ‘The Devil’s Alliance’
This issue's activity is based around a drama, ‘The Devil’s Alliance’, which has been written by Radio 4 playwright Alastair Jessiman
This drama looks at themes of personal responsibility, isolation and the transmission of TB.
Students will have an opportunity to listen to the play and to learn about the complexities of decision making about infectious diseases. They will also gain insight into a specific bacterium, Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
The play is in two parts – the first set in prison, the second in a hospital isolation ward. It is about one man’s personal experience of TB and the emotional consequences of isolation.
What you’ll need to get started
To help you with this lesson idea, we’ve provided these files, which can be downloaded below:
- High resolution and low resolution audio files of ‘The Devil’s Alliance’
- Audio files with more information about TB
- Teachers’ notes (PDF)
- Student activity sheet (PDF)
- Homework sheet (PDF)
‘The Devil’s Alliance’, written by Alastair Jessiman, features Steven Cree as Bounce, Finlay Welsh as Mickey, Stephanie Farrell as Siobhan and Frances Thorburn as Fran. Additional roles are played by Alastair Jessiman. The production was recorded and edited by Neil Gardner, produced by Neil Gardner and Karen Gilchrist, and directed by Hilary Durman. ‘The Devil’s Alliance’ is a Resource Base production for the Wellcome Trust.
The activities and the play have been made available under a Creative Commons licence, which allows users to copy and distribute content, provided the Wellcome Trust is fully attributed and it is used for non-commercial purposes.
- Big Picture on Epidemics: Student activity sheet [PDF 36KB]
- Big Picture on Epidemics: Homework sheet [PDF 318KB]
- The Devil's Alliance MP3 [MP3 23MB]
- The Devil's Alliance MP3 [MP3 12MB]
- Interview with the education officer of TB Alert MP3 [MP3 3MB]
- Interview with the international office of TB Alert [MP3 3MB]
- Interview with Paul Thorn about his personal experience of TB [MP3 3MB]
- Epidemics activity teachers notes [DOC 61KB]