Mosquitoes and the diseases they spread images
Which mosquitoes spread which diseases?
There are around 3,500 species of mosquito on the planet, and many are vectors of disease. These images outline the four stages of a mosquito’s life cycle before moving on to explore some of the most dangerous mosquito species and the infections they spread.
Image research and captions by Rob Reddick and Natalie Hunter.
- European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control: Invasive mosquitoes
- The dominant Anopheles vectors of human malaria in Africa, Europe and the Middle East (2010)
- The dominant Anopheles vectors of human malaria in the Americas (2010)
- The dominant Anopheles vectors of human malaria in the Asia-Pacific region (2011)
- University of Florida: Black-tailed mosquito (Culiseta melanura)
- VectorBase: Anopheles gambiae
- WHO: Chikungunya
- WHO: Dengue fever
- WHO: Filariasis
- WHO: Malaria
- WHO: Viral encephalitis
- WHO: West Nile virus
- WHO: Yellow fever
- WHO: Zika virus