Who’s who?

People who can help you with your extended project

Your EPQ supervisor

This is your personal point of contact at your school, there to support you throughout your project. You will agree your project title together, and they will assess your project. This person could have expertise in your topic area, but if they don’t, you can find it from a subject specialist.

Subject specialists

These are people who have expertise in the subject you want to explore. This could be another teacher at your school or college, someone at a university, or a local employer in the relevant area. You’ll often need to seek these people out on your own initiative.

The EPQ coordinator

This person is responsible for the overall running of EPQs in your school or college. They make sure you have the resources and skills training. They aren’t there for hands-on support.

About this resource

This resource was first published in ‘Go Further: A practical guide to extended science projects’ in June 2015.

Go Further: A practical guide to extended science projects
Education levels:
16–19, Independent research projects